red divider with blue star

Historic Preservation

Restoring, creating, and maintaining historical sites is one of the most interesting roles we play in our community.

The community of New River, Arizona, began as a ranching community during territorial days. Early settlers Amos LaFayette and Della Essary came to the area in the late 1800s. When homestead land became available in 1932 their son, Bill Essary, obtained land that his parents had originally settled.

This marker was installed by the Ocotillo Chapter, NSDAR, paying tribute to the New River School which opened in their living room in 1934 with 13 students.

Become a Member of DAR

 
Contact the Webmaster.
Photos on this webpage are from chapter archives or under license through Canva Pro unless otherwise noted.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.